Build a Better Virtual Desktop Infrastructure
Deliver virtualized desktops and applications with simplicity, scalability, and a superior user experience, built on Cisco Unified Data Center.
Cisco Desktop Virtualization Solutions, built on the Cisco Unified Data Center, deliver:
- Simplified desktop operations with fewer servers and cables to manage
- Scalable, predictable performance with a superior user experience
- Faster payback and ongoing savings with an optimized infrastructure
- Clear guidance for desktop virtualization with Cisco Validated Designs
- Cisco Desktop Virtualization Solutions with Citrix XenDesktop
Learn how comprehensive desktop virtualization solutions from Cisco and Citrix deliver a superior user experience and greater flexibility.
- Cisco Desktop Virtualization Solutions with VMware Horizon View
Find out how Cisco Desktop Virtualization Solutions with VMware Horizon View provide server-hosted virtual desktops with increased security and lower cost.
- Cisco Desktop as a Service (DaaS)
Learn how to take advantage of Cisco cloud-based DaaS solutions with Citrix or Desktone by VMware.
Cisco and ecosystem partners have developed a comprehensive portfolio of reference architectures. These are aligned with specific IT environments and business goals, and address the traditional challenges associated with deployment of desktop virtualization. These architectures for desktop virtualization include:
- On-Board Architecture: Server-resident, flash-memory-based storage for stateless, non-persistent desktops.
- Simplified Architecture: Appliance-based storage model for environments without an existing enterprise-class SAN infrastructure.
- Scalable Architecture: Highly expandable, resilient infrastructure for scale-out environments.
- Integrated Infrastructure: Rapidly deployable, modular units of computing, storage, and network fabric.
Learn how organizations like yours are benefiting from the simplicity, scale, performance, and cost-effectiveness of desktop virtualization with Cisco. Deploy desktop and application virtualization built on Cisco UCS and Unified Data Center.
Desktop as a Service (DaaS)
"Cisco management makes deployment incredibly easy with high levels of automation for the virtual environment. We can add additional capacity in hours, or scale out hundreds of desktops in minutes." - Rick Chapman, Co-Founder and CTO, Netelligent
- Netelligent Expands Offerings with Cisco (PDF - 470 KB)
- Quest Goes Global with Desktop as a Service (PDF - 611 KB)
"In the past, a desktop update would have taken five or six people four days. Using Cisco UCS preconfigured service profiles, in conjunction with VMware and NetApp rapid-cloning capabilities, enabled us to complete the same process in six hours" - Mike Cooper, Technology Coordinator, Oak Hills Local School District
- University of Tennessee Addresses Business Applications and Operational Requirements (Citrix) (Watch Video)
- University of Tennessee Addresses Business Applications and Operational Requirements (PDF - 586 KB)
- Garland Independent School District (VMware) (PDF - 439 KB)
- University of Colorado-Boulder (VMware) (PDF - 723 KB)
- Park Hill School District (Citrix) (PDF - 209 KB)
- Oak Hill School District (VMware) (PDF - 632 KB)
- Indianapolis Public Schools (VMware) (PDF - 435 KB)
- Oaks Christian School (Citrix) (PDF - 427 KB)
- Seattle University (VMware) (PDF - 195 KB)
- Volunteer State Community College (Citrix) (PDF - 296 KB)
"Previously, if one of our employees in the field needed to file a report at the end of the day, they would have to come into the office, involving up to an hour in travel time. Now they can go straight home and file it from there. The bandwidth is phenomenal. The Cisco VXI solution integrates really well with NetApp and VMware. To be honest, it would be hard to get it to work any better." - Mark Ferreday, Technical Architect, Tower Hamlets London Borough Council
- London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham (PDF - 226 KB)
- London Borough of Tower Hamlets (Citrix) (PDF - 245 KB)
- City of Jacksonville (Citrix) (PDF - 254 KB)
"The possibilities for our Vblock solution are endless. It will give us much more agility as we expand into new markets and offer new lines of business, since less physical infrastructure will be required." - Raul Hidalgo, Infrastructure Manager, Banco Azteca
- WGZ Bank (Citrix) (PDF - 362 KB)
- Banco Azteca (VCE/VMware) (PDF - 230 KB)
- Sparda Bank Hamburg (Citrix) (PDF - 211 KB)
- Arab Investment Bank (PDF - 227 KB)
"For a law firm, time means money. With all the efficiencies we enabled with Citrix XenDesktop running on FlexPod, we have certainly recouped our investment in these technologies." - Tim Haynes, Director of IT, Best Best & Krieger LLP
- Best Best & Krieger LLP (Citrix) (PDF - 486 KB)
"We ran a proof of concept with a number of vendors, and Cisco UCS came out on top. In particular, UCS scored highly for ease of management and scalability, which were critical factors for our large and dynamic VDI environment. Also, because it comes pre-integrated, we knew it would work with all the other components from day one." - Luca Ferrandino, Data Center Application Manager, WIND
- Steria (Citrix) (PDF - 209 KB)
- O4IT (Citrix)(PDF - 208 KB)
- Geometric (Citrix) (PDF - 83 KB)
- Shanghai Telecom (Citrix) (PDF - 449 KB)
- WIND (VMware) (PDF - 200 KB)
"We're looking to take advantage of the next generation of virtualization. And [our Cisco] partnership will enable that with a private cloud solution that we can extend across our health system" - Bill Lewkowski, CIO and Executive Vice President, Metro Health
- Meander Medisch Centrum (Citrix) (PDF - 970 KB)
- St. George's Healthcare (VMware) (PDF - 971 KB)
- Metro Health (VMware) (PDF - 346 KB)
- Seattle Childrens Hospital (Citrix) (PDF - 514 KB)
- Beaufort Memorial Hospital (VMware) (PDF - 2.8 MB)
- Miami Childrens Hospital (Citrix) (PDF - 131 KB)
- Group Mutuel (VMware) (PDF - 226 KB)
"Since implementing Cisco UCS and Tegile, our IT staff is spending less time fixing system issues and more time addressing customers' needs. We're saving 43 percent on equipment and personnel support costs over previous years." - Jim Ibister, VP Facility Administration, Minnesota Wild
- Minnesota Wild (VMware) (PDF - 450 KB)
"We have simplified the footprint in our rental locations, with several thousand desktops removed and replaced with thin clients. Service desk management and work throughput has decreased dramatically as a direct result." - Paul J Bermingham, Vice President Global Infrastructure Services & IT Business Partner, Hertz International
- Hertz (VMware) (PDF - 549 KB)
Cisco Desktop Virtualization Solutions: Data Center (PDF - 596 KB)
Cisco UCS Invicta Series Solid-State Systems Solution Brief (PDF - 1 MB)
Cisco UCS SmartPlay Configurations for Citrix Desktop Virtualization Workloads
Reference Architectures for Cisco Desktop Virtualization
Cisco UCS Mini, Nimble Storage, and VMware Horizon 6 with View Mixed Workload on Cisco UCS B200 M3 Blade Servers
Design Considerations for Increasing VDI Performance and Scalability with Cisco Unified Computing System
Cisco Desktop Virtualization Solutions with VMware Horizon View